News & Announcements
Scholarships Applications for 2016
The Steel Yard is dedicated to supporting individual artists in their pursuit of knowledge and financial independence. For many students our open enrollment courses can be just that; a chance to learn an art form or a trade in a setting that encourages experimentation and personal growth.
Sooner than you know... CRUISE NIGHT!
We should be resting from just hosting Fire Camp... but, we're already getting excited about this years Cruise Night! On Friday July 10th, we'll be celebrating our tenth year of cool rides and hope that you'll join us. Check out our calendar page for more info, or join the event over at facebook for
Fire Camp is this Weekend!
The weather is looking great for Sundays event: FIRE CAMP! In addition to the main event, we'll be hosting demonstrations in welding, ceramics, jewelry, and blacksmithing. There will also be and industrial yard sale and food/drinks available! See you Sunday from 1-6pm. Visit our calendar
Fire Camp is only 2 Weeks Away!
Mark your calendar: June 14th, 1-6pm at the Steel Yard! Once again, we will be firing up the forges and the iron furnace on June 14th for our Third Annual Fire Camp. This event will feature hands-on mold making, attendees will have a chance to purchase a sand mold, which can then be scra
Mission and History → Strategic Plan 2016-18
The Steel Yard’s Strategic Plan 2016 - 2018
The Steel Yard's strategic plan would not have been possible without the generous support of the Rhode Island Foundation, The Rhode Island State Council for the Arts, Spartina Consulting, and the participation of artists, teachers, donors, staff and board, supporters and partners near and far who shared their time and advice with eachother... for the Yard.
At the Steel Yard, we believe:
• everyone regardless of their background or previous experience deserves access to the education, skills and equipment needed to directly improve their conditions and community
• anyone can create, and the act of creation introduces unique experiences and deep appreciation for art and craftsmanship
• every member of our community interacts with the Yard in unique ways. They are “Yardies”, stewards and champions of the creative space and spirit
• creative contributions to society have an innate cultural and economic value
• mentorship can provide new generations with opportunities for financial and ideological independence and strong, stable support networks
• there is great value in sharing knowledge openly across disciplines, generations and diverse life experiences
• historic preservation, reclamation, and revitalization ground us, and connect us to the past
• access to industrial space for artists is an important indicator of the economic health of our city
• it is our responsibility to understand the environmental impacts of our work and to make sustainable choices whenever possible
2016 - 2018 Goals
We believe in a world still made by hand, where individuals, communities, neighbors, businesses, municipalities and institutions come together to experience the creative process in order to enrich our private lives and public spaces.
I. Physical Infrastructure: Create a facility that compliments the activity of the Steel Yard’s site, amenities, utilities, and role in developing the neighborhood.
• Update historic studios and all utilities – be open four seasons
• Handicap accessible rest rooms
• Explore new ways of interacting with and advocating for the neighborhood; coffee shop, welcome center, tool shop, retail exhibit, gallery; improved artist residency space etc.
• Outdoor lighting and power improvements
II. Program Expansion / Open Enrollment Courses / Public Projects / Events / Training: Programming all day, every day. Expand current programming such that we have more people, more space, more capacity. Continue adding equipment and services.
• Expand Partnerships – teachers, employers, education providers, schools, funders
• Residencies - activate the shop with professional and emerging artists
• Courses – increase scholarships, technical courses, year-round access and offerings
• Projects – support and engage in more public art projects
III. Communications, Marketing: Take advantage of what we have and use it to its full potential.
• Share successes and opportunities with artist participants, community partners, donors, neighbors, alumni and local industrial arts networks
• Improve, create, expand communications platform
• Explore options for new website
• Use social media to promote yardies and other cool things that are relevant to our mission
• Communicate Steel Yard innovation in setting national precedents
• Celebrate strong community event partnerships
IV. Fundraising + Development: foundational financial sustainability, business model validity and stability, understand our revenue drivers and the manner in which we fund everything we do.
• Continue to provide excellent opportunities for our donors to directly support our operating and community impacts
• Increase corporate relationships to support all of our programs, promote our business partners in every medium
• Iron casting
• Diversify Public Projects Capabilities– continue to create products that support local artists, fulfill our mission and provide great use and meaning to clients
• Events – expand site rental access to promote community events, create strong partnerships around SY Fundraisers
• Retail Store – merchandise/product – research and develop merchandise that reflects our brand/supports our programs and promotes local craftspeople